Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Grilled Pizza

On a scale of 1 - 10 how much do you love pizza?  I'm at about a 9.5.  I really love me some pizza!  But lemme tell you, ordering pizza makes me feel a little bit guilty.  Why?  Well, mostly because I can eat 1/2 the dang thing while I'm sitting in front of the tv.  Seriously - why do I need 5 pieces?!  Oh yeah - because it's there!  So every once in while, fine... but this can't occur on the regular.  My pants are already a liiiiiiiiiittle too tight today. 

What's a Domestic Diva to do without pizza? Answer: don't go without pizza!  I found some great inspiration in a Cooking Light magazine, so I thought I'd try it out and share with y'all.

You've probably heard about this fascinating idea of grilled pizza.  I'd heard of it, but had never tasted it or even seen it made.  Well this particular issue of Cooking Light had a little blurb on healthy kid tested recipes.  If kids like it, Hawkins and I will too.  Yes, sometimes we eat like five year olds... judge away.

Here's what you need:
Homemade or Store Bought Pizza Dough (I used Pillsbury Thin Crust.  You can find it near the biscuits)
Olive Oil
Jar of Pizza or Spaghetti Sauce
Mozzarella Cheese (I used low fat)
Toppings


Get your grill going, but make sure to leave one side off.  Roll your pizza dough out on a dough matt if you've got it.  If not, a large cookie sheet or round pizza pan will work as well.  Brush both sides with a little olive oil.




Next, you'll put the dough on the grill.  You'll probably want to have 2 metal spatulas handy.  It is much easier to flip with 2. Put the dough on the side of the grill that is hot.


Give it about 2 minutes.  When it starts to look a little bubbly, flip it over. 

Please ignore the fact we had a little burnage.  I like to look at it as nice and crunchy :)  Now you're going to leave it on the grill for about 2 more minutes.  While it's on, start topping your pizza.  Cover with sauce, cheese, and topping.  I used turkey pepperoni and some pineapple I had. 
Mmmmmmmmmmm! 

Now you're going to move the pizza to the cool side.  It won't be very difficult to move as its cooked.

 
Once you get it moved, close the grill. You'll let it sit under there for about 5 min. This gets all your toppings nice and warm and melty.  


 We just moved it to a large cookie sheet to carry back in the house.  Now you're ready to cut up and enjoy! 

This pizza is so good!  It's crispy, but still light and fluffy in the middle.   The best part - it only takes like 15 minutes from start to finish!  Hope you enjoy as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment