Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Foam Board & Fabric Wall Art

I don't know about y'all, but I sometimes I feel like I need to redecorate my entire house.  This poses just a few tiny issues... 1. I'm broke 2. I'm cheap 3. We rent our house, so sometimes I'm a little limited.  Minor details really.  

So how do I satisfy the urge for a complete home makeover on a budget?  Solution: Make my own art!

This project is a super easy way to add some color and pattern to an empty wall.  There are tons of options to make this super personal for the space you need to fill without costing a ton of $$!  I spent about $6!  

So here is a wall in our master bedroom.  It is big and empty :(  Below is our tv (which I REALLY want mounted... but being a rental house, I'd like to keep big holes in the wall to a minimum... waahh).  So the color really is a bluish, gray... so please ignore the strange shade it appears here.
Boring ol' wall
This is the key to my project!  FOAM BOARD!  They've gone from being used for classroom presentations to making priceless works of art... but I digress.  This was $2.99 at Target.  I bought 2, because I may need to make something else later.  Ya never know.   Also - it is nearly impossible for me to work on craft projects without Lulu needing to be involved.  Look how presh she is!

So before this post turns into a photo montage of my sweet Lulu, here's what to do. 

Measure your board so you can figure out where to cut.  


I cut mine in half since I'm doing two pieces
Mark the center
I cut the board using my rotary blade and a ruler to keep it straight.  You can also use razor blade/scissors. You'll have to go over it a couple times to cut it all the way through.  

At this point, I ironed the fabric to get the wrinkles out.  I ironed all 2 yards I had, but didn't use that much.  


 Next, measure your fabric.  I allowed myself an extra 1/2 inch to allow for the folds over the edges.  Then, you'll cut!



Lay your fabric over your cut board to make sure it'll be all good.  Next spray the back of the fabric with adhesive spray. I use Loctite spray.  You can get it at Wal Mart. 


Paste the fabric down and smooth out wrinkles/bubbles. 



Now this part may be a little sketchy... but it's totally fine!  You need to wrap the edges like a present.  Now, it was pouring down rain when I made this, so I wasn't going to go outside to spray more Loctite up on the edges.  I'm also not trying to destroy the carpet in my rental house.. so I used regular ol scotch tape! 

                                                 

And there ya go!  Now you've got some fabulous art for cheap!  You don't have to feel bad replacing it if you want to change the pattern or color!



PS - Obviously I made 2... so just double the steps as many times as you need to so you can fill your space :)

1 comment: